Monday, April 20, 2015

The Liebster Award

Well looky there! I got nominated for the Liebster Award! Of course, being feeble minded as I am, I initially misread that and thought I was getting lobster dinner. Then I thought "well maybe they're just going to give me a live lobster". That idea kinda had me nervous. Ever seen the claws on those guys?! And I was concerned I'd have to keep it as a pet if I won it. So there I was trying to look up their feeding habits and figuring out what to name it. Fred seems like a cool name for a lobster. Then I researched the Liebster award a little more thoroughly. Nope, no actual lobsters involved. That was a close one. 
Fortunately, as it turns out, I don't have to worry about building a trophy case either. That's refreshing because I'm lazy and not very handy. It is, however, still cool that I was nominated. From what I've been able to discover it looks like that means I've gotta answer some questions then nominate some folks. So, here goes....

"Where did your blogging inspiration come from?"

Well, I have some friends who told me repeatedly that I should publish my poetry. I asked a friend whose husband has a publisher and she suggested I start a blog. So that's what I did. 

"Is your blogging simply a hobby? What kind of dreams do you have for it?"

I'd have to say it's more of a hobby. If I made it anything more then it would seem like work and that would sap the fun out of it. 
My initial goal was to post once a week but I've been having fun with it so I post more frequently right now. Since at least half of what I post is poetry I'm not really setting a goal for anything. I want the poems to come in their own time. If I feel I've "got to meet a quota" then the poetry I do post will lose its value. Not saying that it is on point to win any literary awards now, mind you, but it seems people like it well enough so I'm happy.  I'm more "quality over quantity". 

"What is your support system like and who are your biggest supporters?"

Hhmm. That's kinda tough actually. My support system is phenomenal. It seems everyone in my support system ARE my biggest supporters. There's Jeri Conrad, Tonya Newton, Nikki Thomason, +Adele Archer, +Rachel Rennie, +Jeremy Crow, +Alisha Trost, +Nael Noaman, +Matt Banner, +Paul White, +Marc Latham, +Craig Wood, +Bekkie Sanchez, Joni Johnsen and Doreen Gleason. I'm sure there are some I've failed to mention and I apologize in advance for my oversight. 

"What are 10 random facts about you?"

Yeeeah, hhmm. I don't know if I even know 10 things about me. Here goes 

1) I love to kayak

2) I collect comic books. Well, I used to. Now I just hold onto the ones I still have. 

3) I was expelled twice. From the same school. It's a funny story and I may share it one day. For now just know that I'm THAT good. 

4) I got a high enough score to enter MENSA. Which is probably part of why #3 occurred. 

5) I'm twice divorced. Yep, smart enough for MENSA, yet dumb enough to get married twice. 

6) In my first year of driving a truck I hit 2 parked trailers and ran over a guard rail. 

7) I've visited mental hospitals as a guest and been asked to stay for evaluation. 

8) I made a psychologist leave the room in tears. To me that was just AWESOME!

9) I have a soft spot for kids and animals

10) I supported myself for several years doing nothing but playing pool. 

"What do you enjoy most about blogging?"

Really, that I can say whatever I want. It's my page so "nanny nanny boo boo"

"What do you do when you feel overwhelmed with too many tasks at once?"

If it ever happens I'll probably just laugh maniacally. However, I work best under pressure and it's nearly impossible to overwhelm me. 

"What would you do with a large sum of money given to you?" 

Pay off as much as I can and put money into a college fund for my kids. Then work as little as possible because I'm lazy. 

"What is one of the most moving books or movies you've ever seen?"

Sea Biscuit.  (Don't judge me.)

"Do you have a bucket list? Name 5 things on that."

Actually, I don't have a bucket list. I've broken many bones and had parts rebuilt. All the crazy shit I was gonna do, I've done already. 

"Where would you like to see yourself in the next couple years?" 

Well, I'd love to be published using a traditional publisher who thought my writing was good enough to take a risk on. Since Random House isn't exactly beating my door down, I'd like to just be on the water in a kayak. 

"What is your single best piece of advice for someone starting out in the blogging world?"

It's your page. Post what makes YOU happy. Don't be concerned with popularity. People will like you more for being yourself. But I've found it helps a little to approach it with a sense of humor and a touch of insanity. 

At this point I'm supposed to nominate people. I reckon that's like "calling them out" to gather in the streets. Maybe we could have lemonade; make a party of it. That'd be nifty!

Adele Archer, I nominate you. You're in charge of the crab cakes. Jeremy Crow, you're nominated. You get to make funnel cakes. Rachel Rennie, consider yourself in charge of lemonade. Alisha Trost, you're on flyer duty. Someone has to spread the word. Nael Noaman, our resident translator and ambassador of goodwill, you're nominated to be in charge of music. Paul White, you're called out to make deep fried Oreos. (I only just recently tried those and they're quite good). Bekkie Sanchez, I nominate you to be in charge of rides and such. And, Matt Banner, you have a standing nomination to show us how to make it work efficiently. 

No comments:

Post a Comment